Terms of Reference of the Postgraduate Medical Council
- Provide a leadership role in pre-vocational medical education and training in Western Australia.
- Provide expert advice to the Minister for Health and the Department of Health on pre-vocational medical education and training, accreditation of medical training positions and medical workforce issues, including the local impact of provider number legislation.
- Identify, evaluate, monitor and promote medical education and training programs, and resources for pre-vocational medical officers and other non-vocational doctors.
- Oversee the accreditation and monitoring of medical pre-vocational training positions to ensure they meet National and State standards.
- Notify the Medical Board of Western Australia of accredited intern training positions.
- Establish and maintain linkages to promote communication with education providers from medical undergraduate to vocational training and continuing medical education, in particular, to foster greater sharing of expertise, information and a continuum of learning.
- Establish, maintain and promote partnerships with the Medical Board of Western Australia, other State / Territory Postgraduate Councils, the Confederation of Postgraduate Medical Education Councils, the Medical Training Review Panel, the Australian Medical Council, a Western Australian junior medical officers forum and other relevant organisations / associations / committees.
- Monitor and advise on the supply, distribution and demand for pre-vocational medical officers and other non-vocational doctors in Western Australia.
- Promote, undertake and/or contribute to health services research regarding pre-vocational medical officers and other non-vocational doctors education and training, accreditation and workforce issues.
- Ensure matters that impact on the health and welfare of pre-vocational medical officers and non-vocational doctors, are addressed by the training institutions.
We welcome your feedback on this site and your comments on how it can be improved. Please use the feedback form to send your suggestions to us.